Friday 4 July 2014

Lessons from a Highly Sensitive Mother: Empty Your Bucket

I was asked by Leila of Sensitive and Extraordinary Kids to write a guest post and I was more than happy to oblige.

One of the things I have been wanting to write about for a while, but hadn't quite got round to, was about how it feels to be a highly sensitive person launched into motherhood. Particularly when your first born is a highly sensitive child. 

What has been amazing is that the journey I have been on discovering that my eldest son is highly sensitive has led to more understanding of myself, and my needs. Unfortunately, seven years ago when I first became a mother, I had not started that particular journey and it felt like maybe I wasn't cut out for motherhood. 

"When my first son was born he cried a lot. Every evening around six o’clock for four or five hours, unless he was being held in exactly the right position. You could set your watch by it. And he wasn’t exactly a quiet baby during the day either."

Head over to Sensitive and Extraordinary Kids to read the whole post - and know that if you are a HS mother wondering how to cope you are certainly NOT alone.

You can read more about parenting a highly sensitive child on this blog here and last year I set up a Facebook group called Happy Sensitive Kids for parents just like me who are raising a HSC. It's a great group offering lots of support, ideas and well needed back slapping when things go right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment